Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Week 6 Blog

Considering I have been unable to attend the past two classes due to being sick, it has been very difficult for me to try to decipher the meaning of the entire book. From what I can gather so far, it seems as if The Crying of Lot 49 is a huge satire. Although I can't exactly figure out what exactly it is making fun of.

This chapter emphasized a lot on the Tristero symbol. It was first seen when Stanley Koteks was drawing it at his desk and then later on the ring that Mr. Thoth's grandfather had apparently cut off an Indian he killed. I feel like this symbol should have great meaning, but instead it seems to be a mystery that Oedipa can't seem to figure out.

This is similar to the rest of the story right now. The story seems to have no plot, and jumps from character to character without fully developing each. But, each character has a name that describes them.

Oedipa is constantly faced with information and and imaginings but I don't think she is able to distinguish which belong with which.

Overall I am pretty confused with whole plot of the book. I almost think there is no defined plot.

In the beginning of the chapter, on page 65, the hymn sung:
 "High above the L.A freeways,
And the traffic's whine,
Stands the well-known Galactronics
Branch of Yoyodyne.
To the end, we swear undying
Loyalty to you,
pink pavilions bravely shining,
Palm trees tall and true."
It seemed so odd to me that a group of workers would have a songfest, especially to a familiar tune. It seems as if the song binds the group together and makes them all work towards one goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment